- Q: Do I need WSIB Coverage? Is my Contractor’s Business Exempt?
- A: In 2013, WSIB Rules & Laws Changed for Contractors. Contractors are now required to register with the WSIB. There are very few that are exempt. FBZ has taken specialized courses in this matter and we are happy to advise you whether or not you should be covered. If you are required by law to register, private coverage is not a substitute.
- Q: How does WSIB classify my industry?
- A: Search for your industry at the WSIB Employer Classification Manual site HERE.
- Q: What WSIB premium rate does my industry fall in?
- A: Find the chart HERE.
Employment Standards Act
- Q: What are the Statutory Holidays in Canada?
- A: The nine Statutory Holidays are:
New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day
Find more information HERE
- Q: How do I calculate an employee’s Holiday Pay?
- A: Try this online Calculator provided by the Ministry of Labour.
- Q: How long do I have to file an Employee’s Record of Employment?
- A: The deadline is strict: the record must be filed online or given to the employee within 5 days of the interruption of earnings. Find more details HERE.
- Q: Should I be registered to charge HST?
- A: Generally speaking, unless exempt, any business with revenue over $30,000.00 must register and collect HST.
- Q: Am I HST Exempt?
- A: Exempt goods and services include, but are not limited to:
- Financial Services, including Mortgages
- Most Health, Medical and Dental Services performed by licensed physicians or dentists for medical reasons
- Child-care services
- Rental Properties
- Legal Aid
- Many educational services, including music lessons and tutoring
- Arranging and issuing insurance policies
- Certain Goods and Services provided by Charities, Non-Profit Organizations, Governments and other public service bodies.
- Find a full listing HERE